Willem -- only days before he was stricken with HLH -- leisurely walking, straw in mouth, not a care in the world. A healthy 9 year old boy.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Convergence

One year ago today Willem began feeling ill.  He went to bed complaining of muscle aches and we shrugged it off -- reasoning that it was a result of the running around he did during the family day at my unit.  But alas; it was not... It was the beginning of our family's hell.

As I have mentioned, I am committing myself (as much as I can, and, at least for the now) to continuing this blog.  I also mentioned that I was going to attempt to begin a new story; a story of Willem's life and what it was that made him so special to us all.  I cannot now promise that I will ultimately achieve this goal yet I can promise you this: you will come to know Willem if you so choose.

To begin my movement toward this goal, I have decided that the best time to tell the story of Willem's beginning is this very day: at the one year anniversary of the very moment I feel his health began to decline and ultimately take his precious life.

I feel it necessary to throw in a disclaimer here:  From this moment forward this is now my journal and my thoughts and feelings, however inappropriate they may be perceived, will pour out.  Uncensored.

1 comment:

  1. I've often said (and incidentally wholly believe) blatant honesty is one of the most beautiful things in life. Each of us have access to it, but for one reason or another external forces lead to filtering shared content. I make it my personal goal to allow for this form of censorship as little as possible, and only when absolutely necessary. To that end, I'm both intrigued and proud of you for wishing to share the life of Willem as YOU saw/felt/moved through it. It will no doubt be painful and require a great deal of patience and focus, nevertheless a truly incredible experience for you to give and for us to receive. A real gift, truly.

    Calvin

    ReplyDelete