Willem -- only days before he was stricken with HLH -- leisurely walking, straw in mouth, not a care in the world. A healthy 9 year old boy.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Willem is "Home"

Willem was delivered by ambulance to Em and Ba's house.  His bed is next to a window and he has a great view.  The doctor extubated him and he is breathing on his own with effort.  More to tell but I just cannot bear it right now.

I will, however, close with this for now:  I have so many to thank and cannot, possibly, thank you all.  I do have to thank the PICU doctor who rode with Willem to the house to personally take care of Willem and monitor him for a while.  Thank you to all the nurses and all who came to say goodbye to him.  Thank you for taking such good care of him.

4 comments:

  1. I have a good friend (Maureen Salerno) whose son goes to school with Willem and she told me earlier this weekend about Willem. I have spent hours reading his story and what you and he have been through since last summer. I just wanted to leave a note to let you know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers...so sad for you and what you are going through...God bless you...Libby Liebig, Holly, Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, I remember you fondly as a fellow 1986 FHN classmate...I honestly do not know what to say to you except your son, you, and your family are all in my thoughts and prayers over the coming days and beyond.
    With deepest sympathies,
    Jennifer Dailey Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tommy, my heart is breaking for you and your family. Words cannot convey my sorrow. Know that you are a constant presence in my thoughts. I send you love over the miles, and wish you strength to pull through this. That is what I can offer, my dear cousin.

    All my love,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious little boy...precious family... I was referred to your blog by a friend. Words can't express how my heart is going out to you. Please know that we are praying.

    Holly Gilliam in Jenison (Mother of Sarah who went through cancer treatments in 2010)

    ReplyDelete