Willem -- only days before he was stricken with HLH -- leisurely walking, straw in mouth, not a care in the world. A healthy 9 year old boy.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

VISITATION AND SERVICE

Went to the the funeral home this morning with Syd (thank the powers that be for him!) and I have to tell ya... I hated the whole business of it.  Were it up to me I would have carried Willem out of the house last night and driven him to Lake Charlevoix.  I would have built a funeral pyre at the Goo Beach and set him aflame -- I would have given him a warrior's funeral.  A warrior's funeral for all to attend.  There would be food and drink and we would celebrate his life. This funeral crap is so very mediocre and stupid and Willem deserves so much more.

Nonetheless... I will -- I WILL welcome all who attend and I will cry with all of you.  Or not cry.  I don't know.

******* CASUAL DRESS CASUAL DRESS ********

VISITATION:  Thursday, March 22 from 4pm to 7pm
METCALF & JONKHOFF
Funeral Services
4291 Cascade Road
Grand Rapids, MI 49546

SERVICE: Friday March 23 at 11:00am
KEYSTONE COMMUNITY CHURCH
655 Spaulding Road
Ada, MI 49301

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to try to make it to both but I will for sure be there for the visitation. Thoughts and prayers and love and soon more tears are heading your way. Wish all our soldiers were here to give him a warrior's funeral also. He deserves it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know how you feel about cremation but that is a way he could "be" at the Goo Beach. I like your idea...and also dislike funerals. Willem was a great example to all of us, courageous, and strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hear! hear! abso-freaking-lutely. a warrior's burial for a warrior boy. but we will be there to cry -- most definitely -- at the funeral of your precious boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felted like I was so close to Willem through my sweet friend Syd. It's so hard to keep a dry eye when I think of the stories I've heard about Willem. I'm a mum of two and this is something no one every imagines. I love your family. What a wonderful wise child in Willem. Prayers and Love. Jean & Jack Van Coevering

    ReplyDelete