Willem -- only days before he was stricken with HLH -- leisurely walking, straw in mouth, not a care in the world. A healthy 9 year old boy.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

DAWN

I miss my boy.  And I miss writing in this blog about my boy.  The sun still rises and sets as it has done so for nearly five billion years.  But I don't care.  At one time in my life I wanted to live forever. Now I do not.

***************************
THANK YOUs
***************************

The gravity on planet Earth has increased so much - for some reason - that it takes every muscle fiber of my being to get out of bed... Yet I have (with the help of Erin) managed, finally, to open most of the cards we've received.  I have managed to open every email.  I cannot, however, manage to thank each and every one of you as much as you deserve.

Thank you everyone who came by to the viewing and to the service.  Thank you all.  I am left with empty feelings for those of whom I wished to hold longer and whom I wished to speak more.  Thank you all.  Your faces and your presence brought me much strength and joy.

Thank you to my teammates and the managers from my work who made the trip to see us: it meant a great deal to me to see your faces and to know that you were there.  Thank you... Thank you.

Thank you to the faces from my past who closed the time and distance gap to re enter our lives.  Thank you.  I hope you know who you are.

Thank you to the many donors to Willem's cause.  Thank you to the ones I've never met and thank you to the ones I haven't seen since 1986.  Thank you all.

Thank you to ones who have fed us when all of our strength and will to prepare food had vanished.

Thank you to all the students, staff, mothers and fathers of Meadow Brook Elementary for everything that you have done and are still doing.

Thank you to that little girl in Willem's class that looked at me with such caring in her eyes and said, "Hi Thomas."  You made me cry but it was such a good cry.  What a wonderful little person you are.

Thank you to my Military family. Thank you.

Thank you to my friends -- I do not deserve any of you.  Thank you to Erin's friends  -- I do not deserve you either.  Love you all.

Thank you father.

Thank you to the friends and acquaintances of Syd and Mary Baxter who deserve more thanks than I (we) are able to give.  Thank you so much for your condolences and contributions.   

Thank you nurses and doctors.  Thank you 9th floor.  Thank you Hospice.  Thank you Reese.  Thank you to infinity.

Thank you to my family.  Thank you cousins.  Thank you aunts and uncles.

Syd...  Syd...  My teammate and my guide. Thank you.

And most of all.  Thank you Willem.  Thank you for being the great son that you are.  Thank you for giving me life where I had none.  Thank you for teaching me.  Thank you for being everything that I've always wanted to be.  I love you and miss you so much.

2 comments:

  1. i hope i never ever ever have to go through anything like this. but, god forbid, i do, i hope that i handle myself with a tenth of the grace and strength that you and Erin have shown. blessings upon you Rado family. your love for one another continues to inspire me every day.

    ReplyDelete