Willem -- only days before he was stricken with HLH -- leisurely walking, straw in mouth, not a care in the world. A healthy 9 year old boy.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Wrung

There is a pain involved with giving away some of Willem's possessions:  The pain is usually offset, somewhat, by the joy in the faces of the children receiving the item.  I was walking down our street with three pillow pets in my arms when three neighbor children yelled, "hi" to me from behind a fence.  I, on a whim, asked if they wanted a pillow pet -- they screamed in delight as they ran toward me; one saying that she's never had a pillow pet.  I asked only that they take good care of them.

The effect of of giving away that which is part of Willem, to those who are brought such great joy by the gift, is much like that of a soaked cloth being wrung dry; one effect nearly negates the other. Nearly.  

I feel a tremendous amount of guilt in reallocating Willem's possessions but I hope - I hope so very much - that Willem is somewhere, watching me, saying, "Nicely done daddy.  Nicely done."

No comments:

Post a Comment