Willem -- only days before he was stricken with HLH -- leisurely walking, straw in mouth, not a care in the world. A healthy 9 year old boy.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Wants to Die

Willem continues to speak of wanting to die.  As morbid as it may seem to the reader (in fact it seems odd to me, the author, now that I look back upon it) I took the opportunity to discuss the particulars of what he wanted done with his body.  Willem stated that he did not want to be buried and wishes instead to be, as he put it, "burned."  When asked what we shall do with his ashes, he did not know.  I recommended that his ashes be spread at the "goo beach" at lake Charlevoix and he agreed that it was a good idea.  I asked if I could join him and he said yes and added that we could die together.  In the tired and depressed state I find myself of late, the notion doesn't seem all too terrible to me: to be walking hand-in-hand for eternity, with my son, on the beaches of Lake Charlevoix.  Forever catching tadpoles and frogs.

But alas...  "We both are destined to live" I tell him and add "You and I will suffer through this together and enjoy the goo beach once again as livers and lovers of life."

Erin is with Willem at the hospital -- still in PICU -- and informed me that he is doing better, physically, but stated that he did speak of funerals.  Because of this, Willem will now be getting a permanent sitter to be bedside to watch over him.

Willem did manage a ride around the 8th floor in his wheelchair today.  Which he complained about.

1 comment:

  1. This breaks my heart Thomas, we are constantly thinking about Willem and praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete