Willem -- only days before he was stricken with HLH -- leisurely walking, straw in mouth, not a care in the world. A healthy 9 year old boy.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Attempting Structure

Arrived to find Willem walking around the 9th floor, all by himself, sans IV tower -- big smile on his face.  He waved to me as I exited the elevator, said "Hi Daddy" and then added, "I already did a page of math."  Y'see...We began a new study regimen today that involves less video games and less television:  In lieu of turning on the television or playing video games in the morning, Willem is to do homework from 8:00am to noon.  In an effort to be a part of it, my job is to wake up; rush down to the hospital; do homework with Willem; do fun stuff with Willem; go home; shower; go to work; come home; sleep; repeat.  I will be moved to 3rd shift pretty soon so the routine will be a little different.

Willem has a knack for relaying a story that he has just read about.  And it's looking like we don't have to do four straight hours of homework...  He's way better at math than I am.  Smart kid.  So far Willem and I have agreed that he will do homework from 8am to 10:30am for now and then have some form of "recess" that has to do with activity (right now it's wii sports) -- preferably, PT on the 7th floor.  Reese is coming in with some poster paper and Willem and I are going to try and put a schedule together and see if the hospital will be able to work with us on getting a regimen going whereby we're working the mind and body instead of the thumbs and eyeballs; i.e. video games and television.  I'd really like to see some structure in his day.

****************
THANK YOUs
****************

Thank you Betsy for going to the store for us yesterday -- that was a HUGE relief.  The children thank you for your gifts to them as well.  Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading that he's doing better. Thinking of you often Radosevich family. If there is ANYTHING I can do to help, please contact me!! Email: srentz312@gmail.com, even if it's as simple as watching Liliana and Wyatt for you guys or taking them to chuck e. cheese during an intense moment or going grocery shopping for your family. ANYTHING, please let me know. I'd be more than happy to help. Praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete