Willem -- only days before he was stricken with HLH -- leisurely walking, straw in mouth, not a care in the world. A healthy 9 year old boy.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Reality Setting In

The 21st of February begins the first of many long days for Willem, Liliana, and the rest of our family. Many tests and much paperwork.  As we draw nearer to the day Willem gets admitted to the hospital for zero-minus-nine to bone marrow transplant, I find myself falling farther away from acceptance and I struggle to deal with the reality of his illness. I struggle to deal with everything.

Willem has spent the better part of his day making lists of all his favorite foods.  Erin took Willem to the store earlier today and they went up and down each food isle so Willem could look at all the food and write down his favorite items -- items that he hopes to be able to eat after his BMT.  I stare at his list and I hope.


1 comment: