Willem -- only days before he was stricken with HLH -- leisurely walking, straw in mouth, not a care in the world. A healthy 9 year old boy.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Super Hero Bound

Willem was a little upset about life and got into that why-me mode so I explained to him that we don't always know why certain things happen to us and added that it is important to focus on the positives.  It was then that I let him in on a little secret:  I said, "Willem, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Can you keep a secret?"  He said "Yes."  "Willem, when all of this is over with, you're probably going to end up becoming a super hero."  I went on to explain that I thought this because every super hero endures unimaginable suffering before their powers become completely realized. I explained that many have to endure, on top of the suffering, an internal struggle with themselves over right; wrong; and they struggle to persevere. The ones that win this internal battle become super heroes. "So Willem... You're probably going to have some super powers when this is all said and done."

2 comments:

  1. I have never heard a more true statement to anyone than this. What is also wonderful to note is that Willem's dad & mom will also discover their own super hero powers, and Thomas is finding his right now. I love this positive thinking and driving ones emotional energy into a bright star analogy. I am a proud member of Willem superhero club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let willem know people he doesn't even know are praying for him and care about him and want to see him beat this. You both, Thomas and Erin, are also an inspiration to other parents. A daily reminder that nothing is to be taken for granted. Stay strong Radosevich family.

    ReplyDelete