Willem -- only days before he was stricken with HLH -- leisurely walking, straw in mouth, not a care in the world. A healthy 9 year old boy.

Monday, February 6, 2012

"Home"

We have been hearing that Willem would be allowed to come home soon but one of the doctors stated today that Willem wouldn't be allowed to come home for a while.  Said doctor added that it would be about three weeks (perhaps more) before Willem would begin the transplantation process.

There are two insurance providers for Willem:  TRICARE (the primary provider) and the State of Michigan (the secondary).  The State of Michigan has approved the bone marrow transplant (BMT) but TRICARE is still not communicating.

Willem received a pass to leave the hospital for a while today -- about four hours.  All he wants to do these days is go to the store to buy more Legos but, as much as we feel he deserves whatever he wants, whenever he wants, we are limiting trips to the store.  Heartbreaking... Especially since he has learned that his illness and misery has great power over us.  With much pain in our hearts, we denied him yesterday and made him do a lot of homework today.  If you could have seen his face yesterday when denied that second box of Legos... He has mastered that look that says "Everything that I have has been taken from me and I have nothing. I no longer have any hope. I no longer have any desires. I am defeated and crushed"  Willem's face relaxes and his eyes become blank  Empty. I challenge you to stand in my place, in the isle at Walmart, ambushed, and deny him a box of Legos.

In lieu of shopping today, Willem came home on his pass from the hospital.  Unfortunately, Wyatt and Liliana were in ski/snowboard school at Pando with Ba today so Willem was home alone with mommy (I was at work). Willem spent his time in the basement playing with his Legos.  At some point he said to Erin, with heavy sigh, "When I finish this, you can just take me home."  To which Erin replied, "Honey, you are home."  It absolutely breaks my heart to think that Willem has now equated the hospital with home.  It is time for this disease to leave him alone.

******************
THANK YOUS
******************

Thank yous owed are now out of control and some very deserving people will be missed but I will do my best to get everyone.  For those of you that I have missed... Please forgive me.

Again, I am truly amazed and extremely humbled by the community that has come together to help Willem and to help my family.  I would love, one day, to gather us all, in one place, and see each and every one of your faces and to shake every one of your hands.  I would love to personally thank you.  I would love, even more, to have Willem there to see the crowd of people that have united just for him.

Thank you Trish and family for the food I found, quite accidentally, on the front porch: Divine intervention if ever I have seen it.  Thank you so much for the Meijer gift card as well.  It has been so good to know you and your family and I thank you for thinking of us.  We are blessed.

Thank you  Gary and Betsy for picking up the tab.

Thank you to an old classmate of mine from Forest Hills Northern high:  Thank you Joe.  Thank you again and thank you a hundred times more for your generous donation.

Thank you auntie Jane & uncle Bill for the hospital food card thingy:  It's perfect!  We have to eat there so often as we practically live there.

Thank you Karey KH for your donation.  We are truly grateful.

Thank you Despina W for your donation.  Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Thank you Christopher K. for your donation.  Erin speaks so highly of you -- and always with a smile and stories that bring laughter in her voice.  She has the best taste in friends. Actually... She appears to have the best taste in just about everything.

Thank you to my place of employment, Amway Grand Plaza Hotel. Special thank you to my friends and colleagues for making the transition from soldier to civilian a little bit easier.

Thank you Magda.

Thank you Tracy B.  Thank you for being you.

Thank you Nancy S.  for being that take-life-by-the-balls, no BS, ass-kicking kind of woman that moves mountains with ease.  Note to reader:  Nancy is hell bent on putting together the end-all-be-all benefit for Willem and... Well... I have lost my train of thought. I am richer for knowing you Nancy S.  And that's richer in the best way possible: It ain't got nothin' to do with money.

Thank you to Meadow Brook Elementary for everything.  Thank you Meadow Brook teachers for the food and thank you for the coupon book.  Thank you Monica.

Thank you Ted Graves at Mid Michigan Car and Truck. Best mechanic in the world: Trustworthy and generous.

Thank you Samantha P. What an amazing friend I have found in you. Beautiful; smart; and loving. Thank you friend.

Thank you RJ Z.

Thank you Paul M.

**** More to come ****

No comments:

Post a Comment