Willem -- only days before he was stricken with HLH -- leisurely walking, straw in mouth, not a care in the world. A healthy 9 year old boy.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Prozac by Proxy

I was speaking with Willem's psychiatrist this morning who recommended that he still be on suicide watch given he stated clearly that, while he is in pain, he feels like he wants to die.  He was also very clear that he didn't want to die at this moment in time.  FYI: His wanting to die is not necessarily a function of pain, however -- varying degrees of pain, combined with situational psychological trauma (in our last instance it was lack of being allowed to sleep) bring about his wanting to die.  Which makes sense to the psychiatrist and myself.  She did add, however, that when Willem was talking about  the movie Homeward Bound, and, puppies - and how he wants a puppy - he got weepy. Because of this, the psychiatrist wants to continue the suicide watch regimen and also up his Prozac dosage.

In an effort to argue against the necessity for a suicide watch regimen, and, in an attempt to defend Willem's mindset, I interjected that I thought perhaps Willem was genetically predisposed to being weepy during potentially sensitive situations (or conversations) and offered myself as an example:  I told her a story of when, while watching TV and, while clicking through channels, I landed on figure skating and while noting the beauty of the routine began to get weepy.  I don't know why -- I was in a perfectly equable mood -- but I just started crying.  To which she replied, "I have no doubt it's genetic... and I'm going to up his [Prozac] dosage."  Now wait a minute... That's not the point I was trying to make...  The psychiatrist just diagnosed me as needing Prozac by proxy.

No comments:

Post a Comment