Willem -- only days before he was stricken with HLH -- leisurely walking, straw in mouth, not a care in the world. A healthy 9 year old boy.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

EXTUBATED!!!!

Willem had his ventilation tubes removed at 10:47am today.  Yes!  He is breathing awesomely on his own and... The doctor had a long list of wonderful things to say but he had me at "hello" and I just tuned out after that.  The bottom line is that Willem is doing fantastic.

A nasojejunal feeding tube was added so Willem could begin taking in sustenance (Peptamin Jr. made by Nestle) that actually ends up, after bypassing the stomach, in the parts that are supposed to have food.  Again, having some real food going through the normal GI cycle should improve Willem's liver, which, apart from the high(er) bilirubin numbers, is beginning to look a little better as well.

Some talk of transferring him out of ICU, possibly, early next week and moving him to the Hematology / Oncology floor to continue his recovery there.  I'm excited about this.

************************THANK YOUS**************************

Forgive me for being unformal and using first names but I do wish to acknowledge you, thank you, and not completely out you.  If that makes any sense.

Thank you cousin Theresa for the HUGE box of stuff for Willem, and I'm guessing all the children in the ICU (referring to the 20 pound bags of suckers and Jolly Ranchers).  So much great stuff in there -- that sketchy thing is PERFECT for writing!

Thank you Bob for the great phone conversation last night; my parents speak so highly of you so it was great to finally (meet) you.

Thank you Greg for organizing a spaghetti benefit dinner (that I can't be at) for Willem.

Thank you Dan for getting me off my backside and running about 9 days worth of stress and anxiety out of me -- that run kicked my you-know-what!  But I had a great time.  Thank you!

Thank you to the following people for their generous Paypal donation to Willem's recovery:
Tina
Patricia
Kathleen
Carmen
Carie

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!

Thank you Susie, Dan, Trevor, Jonah, Eli & Ty for the pumpkin bread.  Awesome!




No comments:

Post a Comment