Willem -- only days before he was stricken with HLH -- leisurely walking, straw in mouth, not a care in the world. A healthy 9 year old boy.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

It's the Little Things

We walked in Willem's room this morning, and I like to think that it was my voice that made him open his eyes and look at me, but either way, he opened his eyes and looked at me so I bounded, barely drying the wet from my hands, the seven feet between the sink and his bed to talk to him while his eyes were still open.

I exclaimed to Erin that Willem opened his eyes and she said, in her stoic fashion, "I know, I saw that." and calmly went over to his bedside and leaned over Willem.  Erin talked to Willem and he opened his eyes again -- a palpable recognition took place, and he reached up to touch Erin's face. Forget every amazing thing I have seen in my life and travels around the world, I can say, without any revocation, that that was the most beautiful sight I have ever seen.  No words were spoken; just a tired reach of a sick child's arm to softly touch his mother's face.

Willem is still on the ventilator and no news, as of yet, whether that will come out today or not.  He seems to be in a calm and I get a feeling that, were the ventilation tubes removed, we would not witness the agitated and restless state we saw the last time they extubated.  Just a feeling.

Visitors:
Thank you Greg for visiting last night -- I truly miss our joking around so it was fun having you in our home. Thank you Rhonda for the hand-made blanket and pillow for Willem; that was sweet. The blanket and pillow will be in Willem's hospital room with him.






2 comments:

  1. Tom, Erin, Willem and Family--
    all the way from Minneapolis, we are so thankful WITH you for the small things. We pray for and believe steadfastly in Willem's full recovery in time. Please do NOT hesitate to let us know if there is ANYTHING that we can do. Tom, I will be calling you today.

    Warmest regards--SSG Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Erin,Uncle Tom, and most of all my lil cousin Willem
    U are all in my prays and love u deary...I cant even imagine what your feeling but I do know God is there with you both and willem most of all.

    Love and prayers, Karin and family

    ReplyDelete