Willem -- only days before he was stricken with HLH -- leisurely walking, straw in mouth, not a care in the world. A healthy 9 year old boy.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Tears

September 1, 2011 approximately 1:45am.  I heard Willem's voice.

Not really expecting an answer at all, I asked Willem what he wanted -- as he was reaching for absolutely nothing.   His eyes looked into mine with part determination and part desperation and it really looked as though he wanted to speak. So I put my ear to his mouth and from some dusty unfathomable place, I hear this dry and pained little voice say "water."

I cried.

The nurse had stated only an hour previous that Willem wasn't supposed to have anything by mouth but I asked anyway.  I told her I just heard my baby's voice and that he asked for water.  I told her that I was certain that he swallowed (monumental achievement) and asked for water.  We gave him one tiny little drop in a spoon and he swallowed it.  Then we gave him another and he reached for the spoon and drank the next drop in, swallowed, and smiled.

Had I not been here with him to ask him what he wanted...  You get the idea.

I think I will snuggle with him some more.




No comments:

Post a Comment