Willem -- only days before he was stricken with HLH -- leisurely walking, straw in mouth, not a care in the world. A healthy 9 year old boy.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Scope of Things

Willem had his throat scoped at noon and had his chest and abdominal drainage tubes taken out as well.

They had just completed doing the scope as I arrived at Willem's room. I asked the doctor who greeted me  how his throat looked and received an immediate, "Terrible."  I had to wait a few agonizing minutes to find out the extent of this "terrible" but I finally got to sit down with the doctor. He had pictures to show me as well...

We now know why Willem didn't want to swallow.  It has been difficult to describe but imagine the times in your life when you've had a sore throat.  What made it painful for you to swallow was just a little inflammation that probably looked slightly more red in the infected area than the other areas.  Well, Willem's entire throat basically looks like it had been boiled -- it's white.  I cannot even fathom the pain he must be in.  I wouldn't want to swallow either.

What is it?  We do not know at this juncture.  They did a biopsy and it will take between 24 and 48 hours to find out.  Could be viral or fungal infection, or a side effect of the etoposide (his chemo). The doctor said that if they know what it is, then they can treat it.  So now we wait.  And hope.

People have asked when Willem can go home and I have to say that we don't even think about that yet.   We're still in day-by-day mode.  But I have managed to think that it would be a month.  But I don't know why I have that number in my head -- nobody told me that it would be a month.

Positives:  Well,  he's still doing better than he was a week ago at this time.  He's breathing on his own. Less machines. Chest and abdominal tubes are out.  May still be moved out of ICU today.  Lots of good stuff.  Hopeful.  Cautiously optimistic.

Thank you Katie for bringing us dinner last night -- very awesome of you.
Thank you Jennifer for all of the food you brought us this morning.  The Radosevich family will not have to cook anything for some time.
Prepared food is an awesome time saver.

1 comment: