Willem -- only days before he was stricken with HLH -- leisurely walking, straw in mouth, not a care in the world. A healthy 9 year old boy.

Monday, September 5, 2011

Another Pretty Good Day

Nothing really significant to report today.  We've got forward momentum.  Willem's numbers are basically all pretty good.  The nurse Willem has now could play a good Nurse Ratched if anyone decides to do a One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest remake any time soon.  Willem informed me that his nurse can turn you into stone if you look into her eyes.  I'm with him on this one.*

Obviously Willem is saying more and he's definitely there, mentally.  And I keep testing him: We put him in his wheelchair, which he hates, at 12:20PM and told him that he had to be in the chair for at least 30 minutes.  After five minutes, he began complaining about being in the chair and begged to go to bed.  I then told Willem that he had 25 more minutes to go and that he had to be in the chair until, pointing to the clock on the wall, the big hand was on the 12... He started whining that Daddy lied to him and that I told him only 25 minutes more to go.  He calculated my time error instantly.  Test passed.

Willem is now asking for food and has offered to split a bread stick with me.   He is also expressing a desire to get out of bed to use the bathroom, in lieu of the current method.

He is on a "flatworm" kick at the moment, saying such things as "There are flatworms eating the dead skin on my hands" or "just a second, there's a flatworm in my throat."

I'm remembering, now, what Grandpa B. told me once when we were golfing: "Well... You hit it forward and you made it past the Ladies tee; and in golf, that's what you want."  Willem is progressing much in the same fashion as I golf: The hits are forward (usually past the ladies tee) but are mostly slices and end up in the rough, trees, water, or the bunkers but, y'know what? The hits are still forward and, like me, he'll still finish this game and forget about it soon enough over a few pints with friends at the pub.  Proverbially speaking.

I don't play golf anymore and I hope Willem never plays this game ever again either.

***********************************

Thank you Wendy and Gary for stopping by yesterday -- Sorry we couldn't get you up to see Willem (bad timing) -- and thank you for the gifts.
Thank you Stephanie for your very generous Paypal donation.  We are very grateful.  Thank you.
Thank you Ba for getting lunch today.  We had some great progress (and a couple minor setbacks) while you were gone and I missed having you around.

*In all fairness to Willem's current nurse, nurse Kristi in ICU set the standard and, although two have come close, one more so than the other, none can compare.  Willem's current nurse is all business, and does her job well, but is no nurse Kristi.

No comments:

Post a Comment