Willem -- only days before he was stricken with HLH -- leisurely walking, straw in mouth, not a care in the world. A healthy 9 year old boy.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Leaving On A Good Note

There is so much that should be said but I have no more time.  All out of time.  I had to say goodbye (actually, I said, "see you later." I don't say goodbye) to my son while he lay sleeping. I leave tomorrow and will return very late in 2012.  What a horrible feeling this is yet it is no more pain than my comrades are feeling -- we are all feeling pain in our goodbyes to loved ones but pleased to be serving our country and doing what we have been trained for.

Willem is doing very well.  He is off his antibiotics because his body is handling the healing on its own.  The doctor is happy to send me off on a high note.  Willem said that my going away present will be that he would swallow some food and he wanted the tomato soup that the hospital gave him.  We sat him up to eat and then he threw up.  Blood.  he then said that he no longer wanted to eat and we understood.  The blood is from his intestine and, evidently, the doctors are not worried at this juncture.

This will be my last post and then Syd will take it from here.  Thank you again Syd. I do wish to thank you all again, however, for what started out as a simple means to provide up to date information about Willem.  The blog soon became therapy for me and then a banner of hope for my son.  Through this blog, I have learned a great deal about myself, my family, community, and humanity.  I have learned what great people do to help their friends, family, and strangers.  Thank you all again.

*******************************

Erin wishes to thank her teammates from work for their very generous donation.  I thank you as well.  We are grateful.
Thank you auntie Clair and uncle Dennis.  
Please note that I have tried to thank everyone as much as possible but if I have forgotten anyone in my thank yous please forgive me and know that you have done a wonderful thing and our lives have been made better from your kindness.  We are truly very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment