Willem -- only days before he was stricken with HLH -- leisurely walking, straw in mouth, not a care in the world. A healthy 9 year old boy.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A Resounding No Way to Baby Food

Willem did another two laps around the HemOnc floor -- again, begrudgingly I hear -- and we entered his room to find him passed out in the recliner.

For a change of pace, I hought I would try some baby food this evening - chicken and gravy - but when I approached Willem with it, I could tell right away it wasn't going to happen.  I tried anyway and I was waved off with a hand and a grimace. Damn.  He did take, and chew, a chocolate chip cookie, however, but he refused to swallow it.  When I asked him if it hurt too much to swallow he nodded.  When I asked him if it hurt too much to talk, he nodded.  Double damn.  Frustration ensues and we take a proverbial step backwards.

Willem is getting some nutrients via the central line but he really needs to eat and hold some real food. His ability to do so would be another step forward and would certainly make me feel better about his progress.  Eating, digesting, and... Well... Pooping brings him closer to home.  The HemOnc team and I may be expecting too much, however, and Willem, Willem's body, keeps reeling us right back in to reality.  That reality being that this is a slow process and we need to take it easy.

We set the ball in motion, today, to take Willem's education into consideration.  Tomorrow he will have some homework.  And... I have a feeling we'll get reeled back in on that one as well.  Baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment