Willem -- only days before he was stricken with HLH -- leisurely walking, straw in mouth, not a care in the world. A healthy 9 year old boy.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Long Day

Willem received his new broviac catheter today and I was told by Erin and Ba that everything went well. I didn't get to see Willem until 6:30pm because I was in Lansing doing what Michigan National Guard soldiers do when they gear up for war.  Yes, I am in the National Guard, and, yes, I am still - at this juncture - going over seas to do my part in the fight against terror.

Erin, Wyatt, Liliana, and I arrived to find the nurse giving Willem some liquid Tylenol via a syringe and I got to witness the nurse technician plugging Willem's nose, and the nurse massaging Willem's throat in an effort to get him to swallow.  They were telling him to swallow but he screamed, "I can't!" To say that I wanted to kill both of them is really putting it mildly but I'm tired and do not feel like creatively expressing the emotional volcano that was that moment.  They did not, however, know I was angry; I controlled myself.

Still awaiting results of the lumbar puncture.  Could be a couple days until we find out.  On that note, however, I did ask Willem why he couldn't swallow and he gave me a funny look and began to dig in his ear.  He then dug out an imaginary something from his ear, pinched it between his index finger and thumb, and gave it to me.  I pinched the invisible something between my fingers and asked Willem what it was. He did not answer.  I asked him again why he could not swallow and he said, "Because of  (indistinct words)..."  I asked him again and he replied, "Because of the thing I gave you from my ear."  Holding the invisible something between my fingers I asked Willem what it was and he simply replied, "Eggs."

I don't know what your thoughts are after reading our conversation but you might be feeling something near what I was feeling at that moment.  I asked Willem if the eggs were in his throat and he nodded.  The nurse and I looked in his throat; her with her wimpy flashlight and, me, with my super duper put-the-nurse's-wimpy-flashlight-to-shame LED flashlight (conveniently attached the belt of my uniform).  I had to disappoint Willem by informing him that there were little bumps in the back of his throat but they were not eggs.  I added that the bumps were there because he has been sick and that it would now be okay to swallow.

The nurse will be wheeling Willem into a different room later tonight so that he can watch the Celebration on the Grand fireworks.  He will have one of the best views in Grand Rapids.  If he's pulling imaginary eggs from his ears then this just might turn out to be one of the best fireworks displays he's ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment