Willem -- only days before he was stricken with HLH -- leisurely walking, straw in mouth, not a care in the world. A healthy 9 year old boy.

Friday, September 2, 2011

He Speaks!!!

Willem said his first complete sentence since August 14!  I was rubbing his head while the nurse technician (NT) was changing his bedding and he was moaning.  I don't remember what I said to him but he said, "I want you to get out of here."

I wasn't sure at first he said anything at all because the NT was talking with Erin and I exclaimed, "Shhh!  I think he just said something!"  So I asked Willem if he just said something and to say it again.  "Willem.  Willem.  What did you just say?"  Moan.  Moan.  "I want you to get out of here." Do you know how beautiful those words were?  Wow.  What an awesome experience!

Now to put it in context:  He was getting his bedding changed and... um... other things so it was probably embarrassing to have us there watching.  Not sure.  I took it for what was said and wasn't at all hurt by it but Erin thought that maybe he was embarrassed by us being there and I thought it a good point.

Medical stuff:  Lab results back from the bone marrow test and the doctor said that Willem's bone marrow is empty.  What does that mean?  It means that Willem's was 5% full and normal is 80 - 90% full.  The test also revealed that there were still more histiocytes (the stuff that has been eating all the good cells) than there should be.  The doctor stated that she was disappointed by the results but still very hopeful.

They will be holding off on the chemo until Monday.
Giving him Gamma Globulin to provide Willem with passive immunity.
Adding Prozac to his list of medications.
He's been holding on to transfusions -- which is good.
Will be increasing his calorie intake.
Bilirubin up again; to 16 which was probably because he pulled his NJ out.
Diarrhea increased so not putting anything in the NJ just yet.

*****************************************

Thank you John for your very generous Paypal donation to Willem's recovery.  Our family thanks you.
Thank you HDCH for providing sitters for Willem so I can go home and sleep and not go nutso.  I predict a nice long run tomorrow.
Thank you Terri for watching Wyatt and Liliana today so Erin and I could spend more uninterrupted time with Willem.  You are AWESOME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment