Willem -- only days before he was stricken with HLH -- leisurely walking, straw in mouth, not a care in the world. A healthy 9 year old boy.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

TREND

Willem's doctor stopped me as I was leaving the hospital and said that I needed to stay a little longer and to wait for her -- saying that she absolutely had to talk to me.  I waited.  I waited by Willem's side as he lay asleep and just stared at his beautiful face.  He was smiling in his sleep. My precious boy.

The doctor came through the door all smiles and stated that she just had to share all the wonderful news about  Willem.  I stared at the spread sheet filled with numbers and capital letters and we discussed trends.  Now that might not seem so amazing to the reader but one must understand that, last week, we couldn't discuss trends because there was nothing to indicate a trend; good or bad.  We now have a trend and that trend is positive.  I will leave it at that.

The doctor's words only served to put a period on the end of a sentence that Willem and I previously created together in a matter of minutes:  I looked at him; he smiled; I spoke; he said my breath smelled; I asked him why he was so handsome and he replied because mommy is so beautiful.  Simple banter that speaks volumes more than a spread sheet full of numbers ever could.

It amazes me to no end the amount of support that our family has received from family, friends, and people we have never met.  Thank you all for being part of the team: thank you to those who have taken Lili and Wyatt; thank you to those who have brought food; thank you to those who have taken me to movies to distract me;  thank you to those who have offered to help; thank you to those who have sent money; thank you to those who have made me laugh; thank you to the makers of blankets; thank you to the spaghetti dinner benefit organizer; thank you to my teammates at work and to my brothers in arms; thank you to those who made me go for a run and listened to me whine about it;  thank you to all of you who prayed or sent happy thoughts. Thank you to that incredible person who left his state and came to me because I said that I needed him.

Speaking of people who always seems to be there when I need them... I was in the kitchen listening to Syd and Erin talk about curriculum night at school and how he plans on handling Willem's education and I just had to smile. I find a great amount of comfort knowing that he, Erin, and my mother are on the job and willing to do what they do so I can do my job over seas without having to worry so much.

A special thank you to Erin who is a pillar of strength and a seemingly endless supply of confidence when I have none.  She is my anchor and everything that is wonderful about my life. Thank you Erin for your encouragement and support.  I love you.

********************

Thank you Nancy and aunt Peggy for bringing food over today.  Great timing.  Thank you!
Thank you Megan for your very generous Paypal donation.  We are very grateful. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment